Thread: Rat repair.
View Single Post
Old 03-24-2014, 12:18 AM   #256
swamp rat

Re: Rat repair.

I finished spot welding in the door, crap that took forever! I gotta say i had a heck of a time with it, not sure what it was but ether, .023 wire, double checked my ground, checked for gas, new tip, gas cover shield not plugged... i couldn't spot weld with the heat way down, I'd turn it up to where i could weld and i had problems with burn thru, but i got thru it, it didn't come out perfect but for the first time welding sheet i guess it was Ok....

And even tho i was told to watch for it, i didn't see it happening with my untrained eye, on the upper part of the door i did get a little bit of shrink that pulled the panel in just a little, i tried to get it in the 2nd pic but you can barely see it, don't know if i should try a little "hammer on" on some of the spot welds to see if it will release it just leave it and skim coat it with the rest of the bad spots.

Then i roughed out the inner bed and floor and started fitting the filler, my whole goal with the filler was to try and make it so the yet to be fabbed cover would be no wider (encroaching on to the floor) than the rear stake pocket, i don't think its gonna happen.

I'm also beginning to think after i figure out the angles on the filler tube i may have to tack it up and take it to someone with a Tig welder..
Attached Images

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote