View Single Post
Old 03-24-2014, 08:05 PM   #75
1project2many

Re: Keeping them stock

Quote:
I really need to say it again, there is NO DIFFERENCE WHAT SO EVER driving a car with drum brakes in todays traffic.
Yes, there is. Yes, yes, yes. You cannot plan for every situation. Leaving more space does not guarantee you will not have problems. No matter how safe you are as a driver, you can be forced into a situation where you have to work to avoid an accident. I have been to 55 accidents this school year for drivers in my fleet, many of which involve safe drivers that are not at fault. The more miles you drive, the greater the odds that you will be in an accident. The more dangerous the intersections you pass through, the greater the odds you will be in an accident. The less safely the roads are being driven by other drivers, the greater the odds that you will be involved in a collision. Please stop assuming that because you have not been in an accident, the rules you believe are keeping you safe are correct for everyone.

Quote:
I can't make this clear enough, we humans in the 21st century have a seriously twisted image of time. Driving 10 or 20 car lengths behind the car in front of you is NOT driving slower, you are pacing that car, you are NOT holding anyone back or any BS like that.
You cannot drive 10 or 20 carlengths behind another car on a congested east coast highway. 10 or 20 carlengths on a busy highway will quickly become occupied by 15-18 cars!!! As you continue to move back, the space will continue to be occupied by more cars. You will have to drive at less than highway speed in order to attempt to maintain the space you feel is safe. OTOH the drivers around you will be annoyed at best, angry most often, or even showing signs of true road rage at your complete lack of consideration for other drivers, the flow of traffic, and the fact that your perceived old, slow car is out on the road when others are trying to drive "normally" at 20-25 over posted speed limits with 3 or fewer carlengths between each other.

17 years ago the primary interstate through here was averaging 30,000 more cars per day than it was designed to carry. The road still isn't widened (although the project is in progress) but the amount of traffic has increased by another 30,000 cars per day. That's more than double the average designed capacity with weekends and holidays even higher! You cannot grasp the effects of traveling in those conditions every day on another driver's temperament and reactions unless you live through it. That video you posted? What was that... four or five lanes in the same direction? We put that many cars on two lanes! And when you restrict one lane by driving slower you force everyone who'd like to drive with traffic to go around you, at the speed of the slowest car that's passing you. I can promise that leaving 10-20 carlengths is not an insurance policy. On the wrong day it could even be a liability.

Combine other driver's attitudes with drinking, lack of vehicle maintenance, poor road condition, drivers ignoring rules, and other unexpected conditions and it's completely unreasonable to assume that you'll always maintain control of a vehicle and a situation to the point where you can avoid any accident. Add to this the potential for increased injury to passengers in an antique vehicle during a crash and it makes no sense to me to argue against making changes intended to increase safety and/or reduce risk.

Quote:
I can't say it enough, it's how YOU drive that matters, not the rest of the brain dead bumper chasers who don't have a clue.
Are you really saying this? That you'll never have to respond to another driver's actions? That another driver will never put you in a situation where your car or truck might not respond well enough to prevent injury or an accident? Constantly driving at the limit of your vehicle's ability is stupid and we can both agree with that. But driving at the limit can include being where you shouldn't, when you shouldn't, regardless of your own attitude behind the wheel. So if you're consistently going to be in situations that tax the vehicle's limits, common sense and personal responsibility should drive you to improve the vehicle and increase your margin of safety.

I drive old vehicles in stock condition, on modern roads, with contemporary drivers. I understand and love them. But I will not become victim to a false security created solely by driving slower and leaving exorbitant amounts of space in a situation that's inherently unsafe for the vehicle I'm in. I'll choose a slower two lane over the interstate if traffic is too much for the vehicle. I'll stay off the road at times of the day (or night) when accidents are more likely to happen. I'll avoid busy downtown driving at times when other drivers have little patience. And if I find my vehicle consistently requires me to make substantial exceptions in driving, I will alter the vehicle to match the conditions that are creating a problem.

I agree with your opinion that old vehicles can remain stock and be driven daily. I agree that making major changes at the risk of making the vehicle unsafe or ruining it "just because" is unwarranted. I agree that in many cases the original equipment is sufficient. But I strongly disagree with the opinion that modifying a vehicle by increasing braking or handling ability should not be considered because maintaining greater distance to other cars and driving slower mitigates all risk.

I've said my piece so I won't weigh this discussion down with this argument again.

Have a nice day.

Last edited by 1project2many; 03-24-2014 at 08:15 PM.
1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote