View Single Post
Old 04-03-2014, 09:30 PM   #1371
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Re: Markeb01 Build Thread

The Ididit steering wheel adapter arrived today, and man that thing is a work of art.

I’m tempted to hang the Moon wheel on the wall and keep the Covico in service, simply because the new adapter really makes it look like an authentic Covico wheel.

The tapered style and additional height compared to the traditional Grant/Superior bell look so much like the 1960’s Covico Adapters. Here’s an ad showing the original:

And here’s my Covico wheel sitting on both styles of adapter:

I occurred to me the only items that actually fasten the column in place are the upper and lower clamps, so I went ahead and loosely reassembled all the under dash pieces today. My wife also painted the brake cable, and I refinished the dash opening for the column. It turns out my firewall is still ugly, but I don’t look under there enough to care. At least the brackets look pretty good now:

Tomorrow should be a simple matter of installing the intermediate shaft & U-joint, sliding the column in place, connecting the wiring and reinstalling the cluster. The of course I’ll need to take it for a test drive to see how much the mileage has improved!