View Single Post
Old 04-06-2014, 11:54 PM   #24
68c10owner

Re: Another 489bbc question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll'nSlo View Post
Ok, so E85 runs better at CR of 12+?? I don't mind going higher in CR, just don't want to use racing fuel.
I was going to use a th350 cuz that's what I have on hand. I'll see if I can get a 400 reasonable to rebuild. 3.73 I can do, I was going to go with 4.11 just to help it.
On the heads, I really want to use the 781's. If I need to go to larger valves I can. It'll be easier to rework them. I can buy the valves and hardware as I can afford them.
On pump gas stay at 10:1 or less. With a big engine you dont need a lot of compression. You can use the 781`s but you wont hit 700hp and wont hit 600hp unless they are fully ported by a professional with a flow bench. You will need bigger valves. Stock valve size will choke off the bigger engine. I would do 2.19/1.88 valves with a little bowl work and a gasket match. I would also recommend going to the longer 6.385 connecting rods. Piston selection is much better.

For a camshaft I`d look into this one,

http://www.claysmithcams.com/bbc-454...x-of-5700-rpm/

It`s designed by Chris Straub and will make tons of low end torque.

You wont need 4.11`s to help out. The longer 4.25 stroke will make more torque than you can hook up. The th350 isnt going to hold up without some major upgrades. It can be done but it`s not cheap. The th400 is going to need upgrades as well.

I would suggest talking to some local builders in your area so you can get a idea of the kind of power they can get out of your set up and what the costs are going to be.