View Single Post
Old 04-11-2014, 06:38 AM   #79
K20chevy

Re: 78 K20 custom delux "modern meets vintage" build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by motornut View Post
does it ever work well,great rollcage btw
Thank you! Craig @ Stewarts RAceworks and his crew are doing the cage. I love their work as well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kikkegek View Post
damn those headlughts are cool! sweet overall build also.

I am interested in your projector headlights.

I just finished my second retrofit on my 74 GMC Suburban...got any more info on yours?

low beam output! didnt take a pic of the highbeams

I added angel eyes behind the Porsche Panamera Shrouds I used, but still need to connect those. Here is a video of them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTpkbV4KdK0
Thanks! Well, what I have is WAY different than what you did. I assume you took an OEM projector and cut a 7" headlight housing and crafted the projector in there. While that looks a little more "stock" than what I have, my setup is totally different. I did not use any of the original headlight housing or mounting stuff. Actually there is a huge hole in the radiator support on each side with a custom stainless bracket that is holding the new headlights. The headlight are Hella 90mm Bi-Xenon modules. These are the same that a Rolls Royce phantom uses. It is a complete Hella HID light,so no retrofit or messing with it. The mounting plates are custom built. The shrouds, believe it or not, are stainless steel salad bowls, that I modified to work as a bezel to cover the large gap between the 90mm projectors and the OEM headlight bezel. I chose the salad bowl because they almost have the same curve as the seald beams have in the glass. I might actually have these "bowls" airbrushed like seald beams sometime, to hide the mod a little more.
But other than this setup being different than what everyone else is doing, what really sets these apart is the auto leveling system. The truck has an ultra sonic snsor in the front and one in the back, measuring the distance to the ground at all times when the lights are on. When you load the truck and the tail comes closer to the ground, the headlights adjust down with an electric motor on each light unit. that way you donīt blind oncoming traffic and can still see where you are going. The same is true fpr accelerating and it also works when braking, the nose comes down, so the headlights adjust up to not just light up 3 feet in front of the truck. You can say they always stay at the same level, no matter what the body does. It is called adaptive auto leveling system. It also comes from Hella. Pretty sure no other truck has this feature!
Hope this helps as to what I have set up here.

68 Chevy K20 Panel truck, build: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...41#post7263441
K20chevy is offline   Reply With Quote