View Single Post
Old 04-23-2014, 11:47 AM   #21
srengr

Re: Simple hidden system? iPhone controlled

Quote:
Originally Posted by dracko View Post
I know very little about audio systems. So please bear with me, I currently just have the factory AM radio. I'd like to put an amp under my seat with a couple speakers under the seat that I can control entirely from my iPhone. Is this possible or do I have to have an actual head unit with a face plate and remote?

I'd be cool with just laying and aux cable on the bench seat but a Bluetooth amp would be cool too. Any advice on what to buy is appreciated.
dracko,

Here is the 'headless' iPhone system I did in my '59 TF. My gas tank is relocated under the bed, so the area behind the seat was open for 'audio' business. I built a speaker and subwoofer enclosure out of MDF and mounted it on a larger panel that I secured to the back of the cab. The amp, crossovers and iPhone interface box are mounted on the panel.

The system includes:

Amp: JL Audio 700/5
Subwoofer: JL Audio 13TW5v2-2
Speakers: JL Audio C5-650 (2 x 6.5" coax + 2 x 1" tweeters)
Original iPhone interface: Kicker PXi50.2 (replaced - see below)
Updated iPhone interface: Parrot MKi9200

I first installed the Kicker iPhone interface, but I was not really happy with it. The wired remote is clumsy and I had trouble with it freezing up. The volume control on the Kicker unit also does not have much resolution (about 10 clicks), so it is hard to get the 'right' volume sometimes.

After a lot more research, I bought the Parrot MKi9200 interface as a replacement. The MKi supports bluetooth stereo (A2DP) from smart phones. It includes a wireless remote, small color remote display (wired, but it unplugs so it can be hidden away when necessary) and a control box (blue box in photos below). The MKi has left and right line outs that input into the amp (you need to solder on the RCA connectors), with volume control from the remote (no need for a line level control). The unit syncs to the iPhone via bluetooth (or through a wired interface). The display unit has an SDHC slot, and the control box also has USB, line in, and microphone inputs. The MKi has hands free voice recognition dialing for the phone and noise canceling during calls. There is also voice confirmation of the remote functions, so you don't have to look at the display when you are driving to control the unit. All in all, a lot better solution than the Kicker unit.

Wiring the MKi is simple. Constant power from the battery and ground, plus a switched ignition source input (turns on/off the control unit). Line outputs to the amp. Easy.

I mounted my iPhone on the dash with a suction cup mount, and mounted MKi display using a stalk-type phone holder clamped to the seat frame. The remote control is mounted on the center console with velcro (so it is removable for storage). All my audio comes from iPhone apps (SiriusXM, Pandora, Tune-in, etc.) or from music on the SDHC card (32GB of storage).

A few install pics:

Update - Replaced Kicker PXi50.2 with Parrot MKi9200

srengr

--------------------------------------------------
1959 3100-- Mild Resto-mod, 327 small block, TH350
srengr is offline   Reply With Quote