View Single Post
Old 05-04-2014, 08:13 PM   #43
murphy98

Re: 60-66 Stepside rear step bumper modification

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhippinSaw View Post
Had some problems keeping my gap by the bumper tip where it meets the fender. Every time I would apply heat to the channel the gap would change no matter how I clamped it down. I decided to just "cold tack it" until I have the diamond plate welded in to keep the angle and then go back and put some heat on the frame. After some time off to get a new plan I blasted and primed the frame and had some diamond plate bent. When I cut the plate to size, do I leave a gap for the weld, or leave it flush with the edge of the bumper channel?
Thanks murphy98
Looking really good WhippinSaw! I can understand the trouble getting the gap right at the fender, hard to do a compound curve at the tip on thick material like that. I wonder if the original tips were done on some kind of stamping machine for consistency? I did leave the diamond plate set back from the edge of the bumper about 1/16" to allow room for the weld bead. Then I used a grinder to round over the edge & smooth out the welds to match the original continuous weld bead on the rest of the bumper.
You're doing a fantastic job, keep up the great work it will pay off when you're all done and ready for paint.
Murph
murphy98 is offline   Reply With Quote