View Single Post
Old 05-27-2014, 06:07 PM   #77
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

Re: My Luxurious late model truck (not so much)

Further updatage....

Today I did a very unpleasant task on the truck. I pulled the transmission out and put it back in. All because of the throwout bearing. Remember, I spoke much earlier in the thread that the truck had a bad throwout bearing when I got it. Well, when I replaced it, I installed it the same way as the original one was. In my reading on the interwebs I ran across a picture that showed mine (and the previous guy who installed the last one's) mistake.

The clutch worked and felt fine, but knowing the T/O bearing was installed incorrectly just wasn't something I could live with. Besides, I already have the transfer case off of the truck so it would never be any easier to R&R the transmission than right now. All told, maybe 30 minutes of work involved, so just a minor speedbump overall. I just hate using my crappy Northern Tool floor jack to pull these big cast iron finger mashers. If I had a lift and a proper transmission jack, it wouldn't be any issue I'm sure.

Now, with the transmission permanently installed, I could do some fun stuff. I have been waiting on the interior install until I was finished with removing the transmission cover part of the floorboard.

Remember my 20 dollar Craiglsist carpet and pad score from last weekend.

I spent some quality time cleaning it all up before installation.

Cutting the jute and heat shield stuff for the standard transmission stuff was a real pain.

Yes, that's an annoying stain on the driver side just behind the rubber pad deal. It defied all efforts to remove it. Needless to say, a pair of floor mats is in this truck's future. I tend to use Huskyliners in my stuff anyway. That stain will be well hidden under them.

I also cleaned up the door rubbers best I could and installed the Craigslist kick panels and sill plates.

I'm currently stalled out on the interior for a little while until I can come up with some money for stereo speakers. Remember these trucks use 4x6 speakers in the cab back pillars. I currently have no speakers at all and need to get a pair so I can install them since they must be installed prior to installing the rear trim pieces and seatbelts.