View Single Post
Old 05-31-2014, 12:21 AM   #30
vectorit
What?

Re: 71' suburban 4x4

Looks like you have been busy!
Sheet metal from what I have read and seen, is made by 1 or maybe 2 companies. So who you order it from, it will be coming from the same manufacturer. Just be ready for a good dose of frustration in getting new sheet metal to fit like OE from 1971.

I used DynaMat, and I am pleased with it. Though it was expensive... I basically purchased 3 "trunk kits" to do my burb. I did the metal floor, and I applied it to the door panels.

If I were you, I would avoid tackling mechanical upgrades while doing body work. You don't want to start multiple expensive upgrades at once, since you can easily become overwhelmed with cash flying out of your pocket and not much to show for your expenses.

Keep your rolling chassis intact if you can, but power wash, scrub, sand blast, powder coat, put back together as soon as possible. I did this while body work was being done to keep me busy, and when the body was done I had a clean chassis to bolt the body back onto.

Get the body all put together, then pick you next big restoration phase.
In my case, I worked on wiring, glass, weather stripping, door hardware, and then gauge panel.

While you are buying, collecting all the many parts to do this. You could be working on the engine/trans/xfercase, and by the time you are done with getting the body and basic interior stuff done your drive train can be installed.

Then you are looking at getting the exhaust system done, cables, plumbing, cooling system, and brakes. Brakes alone will set you back a bit...

All I am saying is. Look at this like eating an elephant, because that's what it will seem like restoring a Suburban. So it is all about small bites, extended over a period of time. Bite off more than you can chew, and you will find yourself easily overwhelmed.

At this point in your restoration, the last thing I would be asking about is what kind of stereo you should consider installing...
vectorit is offline   Reply With Quote