View Single Post
Old 06-12-2014, 09:43 PM   #1
NastyBuzzard

1987 GMC V1500 LS Swap help

Hey guys, I am in need of some questions answered so I can move forward on my swap.

Here is my build thread.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=627161

Probably should try and move it here, or I should have made it here to begin with.

Here is my truck:

And here is my donor:

A lot more pics on my build thread.

Anyways, my plan was to take out the LS drivetrain from the 01 donor. Also take out instrument cluster, entire wiring harness, fuel tank and rear end and put all that into my 87. I want to run the entire 01 wiring harness so I can switch everything on my truck to run off relays, also it will make it easier to run the instrument cluster.

I want something like this.

Anyways... I ran into my first problem today.

So now I need to come up with a fuel system. I really wanted to eliminate the saddle bags for the one 26 gal tank but since thats not possible, it looks like I am stuck with them.

However, problem is the sending units put out a 0-120ohm signal for older fuel gauges, the newer gauges run a 90-240ohm signal... How do I jump that hurdle?

A friend suggested somehow making a bastard sender from a vortec truck somehow.

Also some how to mount the pressure sensor and the evap tank from the 01.

Also I assume I will need the higher flowing pumps. The selector valve I have now is a pollock brand and is only about 6 months old, I got it as a replacement from autozone, I dont know what psi it can handle, any ideas?

Also I have no clue what an fitting I will need, how many I will need, size or type or whatever. I know I need the expensive high pressure fuel hose with the smooth clamps.

Any ideas on a newer plastic tank that would work?

Also anyone ever swapped out the 16 gal tank (40" or so long) for the 20 gal tank (50" or so long)? I may be more willing to run the one 20 gallon tank to eliminate having to purchase the higher psi selector valve and less fittings.

I am reaching out guys, I really am stumped. This sent my motivation into the pooper.
NastyBuzzard is offline   Reply With Quote