View Single Post
Old 06-16-2014, 07:43 PM   #169
COS399

Re: 89 GMC Cummins conversion

This reminds me of my 12 valve swap. After it was put in, it ran good for a few months and then started acting up. If someone would have come by and made me an offer to buy the truck I probably would have sold it. I kept telling myself that whoever bought it would fix it for less than $10 and I would be kicking myself in the pants for not finding the problem and fixing it myself. After rebuilding the injection pump and 2 of the 6 injectors, it still didn't work. I talked to Cummins repair shop and after telling me that it was going to be $90 per hour to work on it, I decided that I could change a lot of parts myself for that kind of money. I changed the lift pump with no resolve before deciding to fuel the lift pump from a 5 gallon fuel can. It ran great and this helped narrow down my search. I bypassed the electric fuel pump, that the mechanic that did the conversion, placed between the lift pump and tanks with a piece of fuel line and two clamps. Problem solved. So for less than $10 I fixed it myself.

On this truck I am not sure what to do? It's a good thing nobody is close by waving money at me. Maybe my flux capacitor is putting out too many Jigawatts??

1987 GMC R2500 SC 454 T400
1988 Chevy R30 CC DRW 12 valve Cummins NV4500 GearVendors
COS399 is offline   Reply With Quote