View Single Post
Old 06-17-2014, 04:04 PM   #194
C20scott

Re: Backyard Cummins

I went ahead and removed the lower leaf from the Tuff Country 4" HD springpacks. (i think it was 12"-16"or something) I now have a total of [3] leafs, instead of [4] on the front end. The truck now sits level with the rear end, which has stock leafs and the ORD shackle flip. It has alot more "give" than previously, flexes slightly more, and feels more like a truck than a block. Still rides like an old truck though...

I wasnt sure how big of a difference removing a leaf would make, so i wanted to start small. I am happy with the current ride of the front, especially compared to what it once was. Not sure how much more weight i will be adding up front either.. I will comment again once i feel the suspension has settled to a more permanent stiffness.

CONCLUSION: Even with the added weight of the Cummins fully dressed, do not buy the 4" lift "HD" leafs on the front if you have the same setup as mine. I could get about 1/4" of flex out of the suspension by jumping on the front bumper as hard as i could, which was probably only the bushings anyways Speedbumps at <5mph were something to cringe about. Literally like driving a brick. Unless you plan on adding a 1500#+ snowplow or something, do not be tempted. I cannot speak for lower lift heights, or vehicles with more weight on front, as those would probably ride better even with the HD leafs.