View Single Post
Old 06-21-2014, 01:43 AM   #1257
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Re: Over 25 Years Later, Finally My 71 C-10 Truck Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Elco View Post
I like the "how it happened" stories.

Oh, by the way, your camera is broken. It apparently distorts the image to make people look fatter than they are!

Come back anytime!
You may be right. I know it makes my gut look bigger than it looks to me when I look down at it. Anytime you say?! Got an extra room? Would be nice to go somewhere warm in the winter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher View Post
Great story about you and Damon. Chip is a cool dude too. I can't believe he didn't show you his ski-ing talents?
He mentioned a jet boat. His eyes glazed over a bit as he stared off into the distance and rambled on about his true love.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Elco View Post
Flat tire! I gotta get on that.
Get on that and much more dude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbassin View Post
Always a great read on this thread! Thanks for sharing. Looks like great times.
Thank you, it was a great time. I'm sure many are not thrilled to read about other peoples vacations. Like watching a slide show at a neighbors house. But it's my thread. The truck was built to be used and these trips are the result of all my hard work.

The next day was spent hanging out at the farm, shooting things, riding bike and ATV's and just plain relaxing. Cindy cooked enough food to feed us, them, the dogs, the neighbors, extended family, and a baseball team.

Damons shooting range...

One of the primary motivations for my daughter making this trip is that she wanted to shoot. She was jealous of that part of our last trip down there. I have a couple guns. I learned to shoot when I was young, but I don't hunt and never took up any shooting sports. So my kids were not involved with any shooting. Wasn't against it, there were already plenty of things keeping them busy.

So now was her chance. Damon has a large variety of guns and he started her out with a 22 auto.

She used a few different hand guns, up to a 9mm I think. Then he had her shoot some rifles.

She's right handed, but her left eye is dominant. She turned out to be a pretty good shot despite that. Damon recently bought an AR-15 (with the money I gave him for the dirt bike) and both kids shot that.

The bike mentioned previously...

I need to replace fork seals and there is something in the carb not quite right (has a hesitation off idle sometimes) but otherwise a good bike for me to beat around on.

Shelby didn't want to drive an ATV herself, so she road with her brother...

But I knew that once she got on one, no matter how much she protested earlier, she was gonna give it a try herself. After lunch we were going to try shooting trap. She took the ATV on her own,

None of us have shot trap before, including me. It was pretty fun. I think we did ok for beginners. Shelby couldn't get it at first. She tried the 12 gauge and the 20 gauge with no luck. Damon had a 410 and she hit the next 4 in a row with that. Go figure.

Later on we took out the muzzle loaders. I brought mine and Damon has a rifle and some revolvers also. He said it's probably been 6 years since he fired them.

I have never fired mine. When I was a kid, like elementary age, my dad built a muzzle loader from a kit. It turned out beautiful. He had a talent for such things. It was so nice that a friend of his badgered him into selling it. So he built another one. I remember them shooting once out at the farm my grandparents lived at. I think I might have shot it, but don't remember for sure.

The guy that bought the 1st one had a house fire and it was destroyed along with almost everything else. Dad sold him the 2nd one later.

Several years later dad decided to build another one. This one he kept. After he died, 10 years ago now, my mom gave it to me. It's a 50 cal Hawkins. Dad had it sighted in real good. I was amazed how accurate it was. Lots of fun to shoot.

The kids got to try it out also.

Shelby kept souvenirs for all the things she shot. Bullet casings for the various rounds, a clay pigeon and a ball for the muzzle loader.

To add a little more bang Damon took out a can of tannerite. It's a publicly available explosive. He set it up on the hill in the shooting range and let Donovan take a shot at it. Damon said it took them about 5-6 shots the 1st time they played with it. The sights weren't quite accurate. He told D to just aim 6" below the target and he nailed it on his first shot...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsni...ature=youtu.be

That's it for day 3.
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote