View Single Post
Old 06-23-2014, 08:18 PM   #1261
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Re: Over 25 Years Later, Finally My 71 C-10 Truck Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palf70Step View Post
Looks like a lot of fun. You sound like me. When I left the farm, I just never got into hunting or having to clean my own food again. Shoot some when I get the chance. Got to get my son to the range one day to let him have the experience too.
It can be fun to do the shooting sports and hunting is a great social activity, but it gets expensive, depending on how "into it" you get. Just like any hobby I suppose, this truck thing included.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Elco View Post
Damon's place looks awesome! I can hear the Skynyrd and feel my hand curling around the Bud Light. My kinda place.

Glad the kids enjoyed the guns, and I like your new bike! Neighbor Jay has one, suspension is soft, but it's a great trail rig.
They inherited a farm, split with another relative, who sold her share almost immediately. Damon and Cindy kept theirs. 250 acres of mostly tilled ground, which they lease out. The rest is wooded. There are 2 properties, the farm site and another house with attached land. Lots of work to keep it all up. They have been there a year and steadily making it their own.

The bike is good for me. Never had a dirt bike before and I'm too old to start racing or doing stunts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbassin View Post
We start them off shooting young here too. Looks like a very good time. Keep sharing the stories and pictures. Love the old .50 cal....
I started shooting at about 12. Here is a couple better pics of my guns. The bolt action is a 22 savage. My grandpa gave it to me and was my 1st gun. The other is the 50 cal Hawkins. Damon really liked it and might be looking to get 1 of his own now. I think his was a 44 cal.

Back to the trip. The next day Damon took us into St Louis. The boy and I had seen the arch and brewery last year, but the girl hadn't. We had lunch at bandanas BBQ. Pretty good food. One of the customers started singing operatic music while we ate. Odd, but she wasn't terrible.
Damon showed us the place they lived for 20 years before moving out to the boondocks. It was in Collinsville, and I guess its the horseradish capital or something. But also has the worlds biggest ketchup bottle...

We had to do the arch visit again.

Cuatro hombres...

Inside, up at the top.

Hmmm, camera continued to work. Go figure.

An example of how much better the zoom is on my new camera. (50x) If you look in the pic you can just make out a horse and carriage or buggy, whatever, at the far side of the park area in front of the courthouse...

Zoomed in...

Damon didn't take the ride to the top. Not that he has a problem with it (ex submariner and boiler inspector, closed in places not an issue). He had a small jack knife in his pocket and security was gonna take it away. He waited outside. The kids found him and we took his pic...

As we were leaving a storm was rolling in. We made it back to the car with about 5 min to spare before the downpour hit.

It was getting late in the day so we met up with Cindy (she had to work) at Steak N Shake. Which my kids new favorite restaurant I think. We don't have them up here. We were trying to decide what to do next over dinner, and buying more things that go BANG! won out, so we piled into the cars and headed west across the river where they sell the good stuff.

This aisle would be about the equivalent we can get here, minus the roman candles...

Everyone likes firecrackers, but 16,000 in a continuous string? Wow

Shelby found 1 she liked...

Damon almost got this box set...

Contents...

Ironically, Cindy is a paralegal at a family law practice, ie. divorce lawyers.

He is well stocked for the 4th now...

That would be the end of day 4.

Don't worry, there is more truck/car pics on the way. I'm getting there.
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote