View Single Post
Old 06-23-2014, 11:18 PM   #1263
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Re: Over 25 Years Later, Finally My 71 C-10 Truck Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher View Post
Very cool and thanks for sharing. I like his shooting range. Nothing wrong with that at all. Both times I've been to the Arch, it has been closed. So we will have to revisit sometime when the kids are bigger. If you ever have to roll through Iowa City, there is a Steak and Shake there.
You can't wait til the bars close to go see the arch. Gotta get there a wee bit earlier. That Iowa City one is the closest one to us up here, but about a 5 hour drive.

The next day was just me and the kids doing more site seeing. Shelby was going to Louisville later, so going to the brewery wasn't high on her list. We went to the science center and zoo instead. Even though the kids are older, they are still into cool science stuff and learning so it was a good time.

The lobby area is pretty cool with this huge rail system with rolling balls going everywhere.

Memorabilia from one of mine and Shelbys favorite Scyfy movies...

Space ships...

Astronaut costume...

To think about what those guys did back then with so little is humbling. Makes you want to go kick some NASA ass and yell "Keep it simple, Stupid!"

The zoo was pretty nice. I haven't been to a bigger one like this in a few years. The steel sculpture out front was awesome...

I'm not gonna bore you guys with dozens of pics of animals from the zoo. Just a few. The primary animal for Shelby to see was the elephants. She has been fascinated by them since she was tiny. She has seen them in various circuses over the years. I think we even paid for her to ride one once. This is the first time she has seen them in a zoo.

She would have gladly sat there the rest of the day and watched them and if it was just me and her and nothing else going on I would have let her. It was one of those priceless moments for me to see her be a little girl again and in awe of the big animals.

I'm more drawn to the primates. Maybe cuz we're related. I don't know. Maybe it's from the family vacation when I was a kid. We visited some relatives in Wisconsin and one day we went to the Milwaukee County Zoo. The big draw there was Samson. He had a glass walled enclosure. He was big and not happy to be watched. He kept hitting the glass. HARD! Slamming into it over and over. It was scary as hell to this little guy. All I could think was "how thick is that glass?" and "When will he break through?" It made a serious impression. Here's a little info on him...
http://www.zoosociety.org/Education/...onMemories.php

Anyways, the apes at this zoo had more natural settings and they were pretty chilled. The gray back stayed in the middle and kept a watch over everything. And pondered the problems of the world thoughtfully...

Or maybe he was just thinking about his dinner options or which cheek to scratch. I'm not the gorilla whisperer.

Oh, and the cats. I like the big cats. Heres a white spotted kitty kat...

And another spotted kitty kat...

And a striped kitty kat...

And another spotted kitty kat...

And big yellowish kitty kats. A boy and a girl, but the girl is the one with the short hair. The boy yellowish kitties are like the Joe Dirts of the cat world. They like metal \m/ \m/ And not just any metal, but 80's metal.

Alright, enough of that. Next up is the continuation of the road trip. We load up and head north and find lots of other old cars (and plenty of new ones) that got together for a mega road trip that we joined up with for a couple days.
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote