View Single Post
Old 07-11-2014, 10:04 PM   #56
greywurm

Re: Voltage issue - Gauge Cluster and wiring Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteVet View Post
Here's a good diagram of the stock engine harness. Notice the blue wire goes to F and the white wire goes to R on the alternator. The diagram shows it as a black wire because a white wire on a white background just wouldn't show up.
I guess I didn't describe how the wiring was... Sorry, I'm not always good at that. The wires from the regulator were spliced to a different connector to the alternator that had the blue wire in the wrong terminal. Whoever did the splice connected blue to blue. I understood the diagram that the "black" wire in the diagram is actually white because it was labeled. See image below. This is after I fixed them being backwards.

Quote:
13.38 is a bit low but it may get better with a run in. You may see some dimming headlights at idle, but at run speed they should be OK. Did you reground the regulator to the radiator support and to the alternator?
I was expecting to be closer to 14 to be honest. Maybe thats a high expectation with the lower amp/externally regulated stock alternator? I haven't driven her at night yet, but I tried the lights out last night with it running at idle and I was blown away because they actually lit up the ground in front of them. They were next to useless before. The regulator is grounded. I actually even still have a ground wire that I added while trying to figure this out running from the same post to the ground on the alt.

Quote:
We can talk about the headlight relay mod when you are ready and the conversion to HEI ignition, then to the internal regulated alternator after you get all the mods done. See there's never an end to it.
The headlight relay is my next project! I've been reading it over a couple times, but not totally sure on everything yet. I already have HEI from the PO. I think I am going to roll with the current alternator since I just bought it and have my old one still (it is still good according to tests I had done). But once I start to draw more current than it can handle I'll do the upgrade. I am also a little concerned if I get to that point I need to upgrade the harness(es). Idk when to say my wiring is insufficient.
greywurm is offline   Reply With Quote