View Single Post
Old 07-21-2014, 12:04 AM   #31
mechanicalman

Re: CPP Brakes SUCK!!!!!!!!!

OK I know this is a very old thread. I was researching CPP brakes and came across this. Looking at the top left picture, it looks like MAYBE the backing plates were not installed correctly, and cdowns also noticed the one in the picture appears to be crooked.

It appears the backing plate bolts are in backwards, with nuts against the axle flange, then the backing plate installed atop those nuts. This would pull the outboard pad towards the backing plate too far and drag against the rotor (pad cracked from over-heating), and also this would pull the pad toward the top of the rotor (off the edge, note the lip on the top of the pad). This would also cause the inner pad to dig in at the inner radii of the rotor, and possibly leave a lip at the top as well.

I would suggest that the backing plates may need to be installed with the bolts going in through the backing plates first, then flush against the axle flange, then with nuts on the other side without excessive bolt protrusion pointing towards the wheel.

I could be wrong, but I'm wondering if Jeff at CPP could confirm if that is indeed the right way to install the backing plates. It only took me a minute to find this, not sure if it was available in 2010.

http://www.classicperform.com/tech_a...kes-trucks.htm

I'd be shocked if the kit didn't come with instructions. Even if it didn't, don't those bolts usually go in inboard towards outboard? Just a thought, seems CPP got skewered and I'm not sure that was necessary.

Last edited by mechanicalman; 07-21-2014 at 12:06 AM. Reason: minor error "CCP" vs "CPP"
mechanicalman is offline   Reply With Quote