View Single Post
Old 08-29-2014, 12:44 PM   #1
richeilers

71 Blazer 2WD project

Hey guys (and girls?)
Just joined the forums a couple weeks ago when I knew I was getting a 71 Blazer (from fellow board member BabyBlue). When I say "PO", it won't necessarily mean him, he didn't have it too long himself and I suspect that a lot of what I find will be the owners before him doing it, so please don't take offense Nick. Slim stats: original 2WD, now has a 72-78 454...was a 350/350, CST, single wall top, 19 year old paint, TH 400 trans with Lokar shifter - used to be a column shift so I'll be looking to replace that column with a smooth tilt model. No A/C...ugh, lowering coils and C notched in back. Picked it up on the 25th and drove it 730 miles home. Quite the "shakedown" cruise. Realized I have some suspension fixes to figure out - on bumps it like to rock/sway from corner to corner......thinking maybe a bad shock on one corner? However, I did see last night that it looks like the left front coil is cock-eyed between the control arms. I don't have a spring compressor so will take it to somebody that does and hope they can get it in place. But, made it home (Northern KY) all in one piece.
First few fixes, momma said there MUST be seat belts all around, only had female buckles in the back, NO driver belts at all and the passenger one is somewhat broken. Got cheapy lap belts at Advance Auto for the back - bolted easily right to the 4 floor mount bolts for the seat - btw, how is the front supposed to be held down? Mine has nothing right now, moved the buckle up to the front passenger and now looking for a single male clip side for the driver. Carpet was not put in very well, way too short under the dash. Not sure if they used the wrong set or what but it seems too short. My short-term fix is to move the back edge of it to the floor and paint the vertical "wall" flat black. Figure with the seats and console in, it won't be too noticeable. And finally, have no radiator shroud (yet, have a line on an OEM one to go look at tomorrow) but it doesn't look like there's a lot of room for it. In the event it doesn't I've ordered an electric pusher cooling fan for the front side of the radiator. Probably should put it in now matter what. But to do so, I have to relocate the tranny cooler - not too big of task if the hoses will reach. Next up? I don't know.....I'm easily distracted "oh look a squirrel!!" so it could be about anything. Which reminds me, need to build a hoist for the garage for lifting off the top. I've seen only one thread with good pics but would be happy to see/hear anyone else's hoist stories. Though, while writing this novel, I got a text for a thing called "hoist a top" for Jeep hardtops. Pretty sure they're a ton lighter than a Blazer top, but I'll look into it. Much more later, I'm sure.
Attached Images

1971 Blazer 2wd CST 454 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=641414
richeilers is offline   Reply With Quote