View Single Post
Old 09-03-2014, 11:14 PM   #1
NEWFISHER

My 1946 Suburban LS 5.3 swap

Since the pre 47 section is a ghost town and I have gleemed a ton of inspiration from you all here in the lsx area, im going to slowly unfold my journey or shoe horning this beast into the narrowest chassis to squeeze one of these engines into.

A little about the rig: dropped straight axle, 235 inliner, 1955 car 3 speed, 1955 car rear diff and a manual stock steering box mounted inside the frame rail. It still has the knee action lever shocks and is a blast to drive. We added this rig to our collection next to our 50 burb as they make great road trip, camp out of, keep dogs safe and dry vehicles and we can cruise with 7 other friends at the shows.

The plan: parallel 4 link and bag the rear with a small bridge through the floor behind the middle seat. Ive always wanted a spark throwing tail dragger and needed some motivation to get the Ls project on its way onve the rear is dropped. I was hoping to keep the straight axle but with the inner rail steering box conversion, disc brake conversion, having the front sheetmetal off for the Ls it just makes sense to toss an I.F.S system in it with a power rack and build the engine mounts off of the crossmember..right? I have also never seen a straight axle 40-46 LS conversion so not wanting to travel the dead end path ive decided to loose the drop axle. Im going to be running an external pump, a 4" elbow to a K&N and keep the ugly truck intake until next year. I am inquiring with Adam at PSI regarding the extension of the ecu harness so I can hide it inside. No room on the narrow firewall and i dont have inner fenders to rest it on. I picked up the conversion last night and whipped up a roll around cradle for it to hang out on while I detail it and get the puzzle sorted out.

Any comments and suggeations are welcome and appreciated. It will be my first 4 link and my first LS conversion. Here are a few pics to get this going. Hoping to have the 4 link done by next month and the Ls done by the end of December.
Attached Images