View Single Post
Old 09-28-2014, 02:19 PM   #23
dfrank

Re: Need some help on a motor build

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmiller66 View Post
The more I read about cams the more confused I get. I am kind of leary of the comp xe cams after all I have read. That speed pro looks interesting. What about the voodoo cams? Any experience with those?
I don't have any experience with them. We have used comp roller cams, speedpro flat tappet, crane, and some custom grinds a guy used to do before he went out of buisness.

I think you will really like that speedpro cam I listed. It has a fairly nice lumpy idle, but pulls 15hg of vaccum which is very good and it has a great low-mid power range. The only reason I am swapping mine out is cause it doesnt have on the top end since the power range ends at around 4500rpm and I have the transmission (th350) set to shift at 5000rpm and sometimes take it to 6000rpm at the max. I have mine matched with a set of world products sportsman 2 iron heads and it is a great combo and would recommend those heads with that cam. The worlds heads are also not very expensive. Vortec heads would be fine as long as you have a vortec intake.

I think that that speedpro cam and world products sportsman 2 heads with edelbrock performer rpm or rpm air gap intake along with a 650 holley or quick fuel carb would probably put your motor to around 350hp and maybe 400tq. I wouldn't push it any higher than 350hp/400tq with that cast crank. I had an eagle cast crank break at 4000 miles with my motor pushing 450hp/470tq although it was rated to 500hp. They de-rated that crank to 400hp shortly after as there where a lot of people having that same crank break in the same spot mine did. I now have a internaly balance scat 4150 forged crank in it.

One other thing. Make sure you run an oil with high contents of zddp (zinc) in it if you go with a flat tappet cam or you will wipe the cam out shorty after. I run brad penn 10w-40 in my motor now.
dfrank is offline   Reply With Quote