View Single Post
Old 09-30-2014, 02:17 AM   #8
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Re: what you guys think about banks twin turbo system?

From reading your first post...I'm not entirely sure what you want.

Don't take this the wrong way, but when you start talking tube chassis builds it envokes a certain "level" of build. Considering the costs of a tube chassis, the required custom suspension components, brakes etc...its not all too uncommon to throw around $15k+ without really batting an eye.

A tube chassis car also doesn't really fit the description of a grocery getter either. Instead I would picture something with a full cage, narrowed rear end (you said WIDE rear tires), fiberglass body panels... you see where I'm going with this right?

Now, that chassis discussion aside; is what you want a grocery getter/weekend cruiser "fun car" that can rip? Thats not a hard formula, and in reality, any of the engine combo's you described would get the result you want.

You can build a 350"-400+" sbc with a GM block, decent rotating assembly, some Trickflow heads, a cam package etc for sub $7k and get yourself anywhere from 400-550, and any of your mechanically experienced friends could put it together pretty easily. (downside being the bad mpg, HUGE variety of possible builds, and generic-ness of this route)

You can start with a junkyard block and have it built mildly to take some boost, get a more budget friendly turbo kit (banks is expensive because your paying for his R&D, but there are superior kits that exist and much much better kits to bed made). This combo will also be in the $7k-8k range, BUT can go drastically higher depending on the combination of parts. This may be a bit less "reliable" since its using more complex systems of parts and tuning..physically MORE parts and places to break. You can again be in the 450-550hp range, but with the correct parts, the potential to start to go 600+ is there a bit easier. The advantage is an improvement in mileage and streetability for the power level. Downside is that FI carbed cars arent' the easiest thing to tune or to drive.

You also have the LS motor option, which is my love and a rapidly growing market. Junkyard swaps can be 3-4k (carbed or FI), and make a reliable 350-450 with cam and tune. You have the better mileage of efi and overdrive trans benefits should u choose to take them. The other nice thing is that you start with a driveable, fun swap with good power for under $5k, but adding a turbo to one is actually simpler IMO than doing so on the carb'd cars...and you can always come back and add the turbo down the line as budget or time allows.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote