View Single Post
Old 10-20-2014, 08:30 PM   #16
Blown06

Re: Project: "ResuWrecktion" '71 Custom Deluxe C-10

Seemed like one of those weekends where nothing went as planned and progress was small.

Dragged my 25 year old Snap-On mig out to the backyard after doing a little sheetmetal practice in the garage. The results weren't anything to brag about but they were adequate.

Had big plans of running my mig off of my generator, that didn't go so well for spot welding! Genny wouldn't spool up fast enough to strike a stable arc.
Worst part is, I know better but nothing ventured, nothing gained right! So I rounded up some heavy duty extension cords and was back in business, going to run a temporary heavy duty circuit out back soon.

I decided to start tackling the firewall smoothing panels since I need practice on sheetmetal welding and this would involve overlapped metal so less chance to blow a hole in something.

My Jackson quick change helmet finally gave up the ghost, so a trip to Lowes and I picked up this Kobalt hood for $100. So far I like it and it had good reviews.

More tacks and more tacks.

And a lot of grinding, using a cutoff wheel on the grinder to knock down the highest spots (read about it in one of the metal working threads here) and finished up with a 2" roloc sanding disc.

Biggest thing I've learned is that I am rusty at welding sheetmetal, bi-focals stink and I don't know how long it will take me to get used to them. I'm determined and I have more time than money.

Thanks for reading and following along.

My project: http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=646563
Blown06 is offline   Reply With Quote