View Single Post
Old 10-28-2014, 11:56 AM   #10
droberson

Re: 1988 GMC Sierra SLE 2500 - First project ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bufmatmuslepants View Post
Nice project man, subscribed. Be careful before you spend money on a part at a pick n pull, always check the price of that part new on rockauto first. For example. They wanted MINIMUM $35 for an outside door handle at the pick n pull, and rockauto its $6 new and you dont have to deal with pulling that part from an old moldy truck.
The junkyard closest to my house is terrible. I've gone there and gotten upsold twice. They hardly ever have anything I need, and its just a terrible place. I'd rather pay more money for brand new stuff than deal with them. Apparently, I'm not alone. They have 1 star on Google reviews. There ARE other yards in town, but I haven't gone to any. They may be better. If I happen to get a few free days I'd like to check them out. To top it off, I've typically been working 60+ hours a week for the last few months and usually can't even make it in during most shop's business hours. My days off are usually spent cleaning the house and running errands.

Edit: apparently I can't edit my older posts anymore. I'll resize and repost later.
Thankfully there's Amazon, Rockauto, Ebay, etc. I've ordered literally hundreds of items this year and not had to return anything, had anything lost in shipment, or boxes stolen off my doorstep. I guess I have good luck with this so far.

I'm all about saving money, but free time is a premium commodity for me. I feel my time is better spent shopping around online and spending extra rather than blowing my one free afternoon a week on trips to the junkyard where I may not even get what I need. At least I can shop around online during my breaks at work or late in the evening..

I am going to resize all the pictures later today via photobucket so people don't have to click on links.

Last edited by droberson; 10-28-2014 at 12:17 PM.
droberson is offline   Reply With Quote