Thread: pdx-sanity66
View Single Post
Old 10-30-2014, 10:53 PM   #533
pdxhall

Re: pdx-sanity66

I decided it was time to finish up the fuel tank installation since I've now got the fuel line plumbed to there and I'm getting real tired of moving the tank around every time I need to do something. It seems like it's always in the way.
Part of my reason for procrastination on this is I have been looking for a suitable rubber strip to pad the tank from the frame and mounts. I'm just trying to eliminate metal on metal rubbing and possible squeaks from developing. I finally found something that I thought would have to do but it still wasn't quite as thick as I was envisioning so I procrastinated longer. I also planned to make some steel mounts with bolts welded to them for ease of assembly and disassembly if ever needed. Well, the other day I was in my favorite and best around hardware store Parkrose Hardware. These guys have the best selection of fasteners I've ever seen. I have yet to go there and not be able to find what I'm looking for. Anyway, I was in there looking for some rubber padding for a home project I was working on and I had looked all over the area with seals and weather stripping and stuff and had no luck. Parkrose Hardware is also a very dog friendly store so my dog, Spike gets to go along with me and gets a dog treat at the service desk at the back of the store.
When we got back there he spotted one of the guys that works there and always makes a fuss over him when we see him. Spike ran over to him and I happened to look down and on a shelf was all this different sized rubber mat for sale. It is exactly what I was looking for to do both projects. Sometimes you run in to what you need in the craziest ways. Spike was the hero.

So here's the end result. All the mounts made, pads cut and fitted, holes drilled, and everything test fitted one more time before tearing it all apart for paint.
I also made a mount out of a piece of aluminum for the fuel filter to make it easier to remove if I ever need to remove the whole filter housing.
Attached Images

I've Done So Much, With So Little, For So Long, That Now I Can Do Anything With Nothing.
pdxhall is offline   Reply With Quote