View Single Post
Old 11-05-2014, 09:52 PM   #206
884x4Sub
p p pullin'

Re: My '69 Chevelle/Winston cup car

With a 110" wheelbase and low ground clearance my "various planks and pieces of 2x4 stacked up on the ramps" method of getting the car up on the trailer was not working. I could get it up there but it took over a half hour and cleared by millimeters. I needed something else. I came to the conclusion I needed longer ramps for less angle. I put an add in the "Stock Car Parts For Sale in Ontario" Facebook page with a pic and dimensions of my current ramps and got two responses. Both were nearby. The first set needed someone that could bench 400lbs to lift them, no thanks. The second set was right on the money and for $40, sold.

In total there is now just over 10ft of ramp and the car has a solid 1.5 to 2" of clearance at all times. I no longer even look at ground clearance I just make sure it comes up straight as the tires only clear the inside of the trailer fenders by 3/4" on each side. I found the ramps needed to be joined together so I made the hinge set up. The tubing is actually 1/2" black iron gas pipe (like I dont have any of that around ) welded them on then filled with Permatex Cold Weld. That pin slides in, they dont go anywhere they move as one. That is a 6x6 and 1/2" plywood they are sitting on. I beveled the lower ramps with a zip cut for a seamless transition from road to ramp. There is no ramp kick up at all. I will probably drill some holes in the top end of the upper ramp and through the trailer for some carriage bolts to quickly locate the ramps but there is no hurry they dont go anywhere. Takes about 20min to load or unload the car now. Problem solved

sorry about the pics had to play with them to minimize the shadows.