View Single Post
Old 11-05-2014, 09:58 PM   #208
884x4Sub
p p pullin'

Re: My '69 Chevelle/Winston cup car

Ok back at it. Might as well finish off the trailer....stuff. Here's the winch setup. Welded that receiver to the trailer and made up the removable stand for the winch about three yrs ago so I would know if it was going to work or not. I like it because I can remove the winch and put it inside the shop or in the truck at the track when Im not using it. The aforementioned $49 4500 lb winch doesn't even breathe heavy pulling the car up. The trailer needs to be painted. I'll get around to it.

The original idea was to use chains at the front in the "fixed" position because they are simple, strong and cheap. I was not happy with them as since they have no give whatsoever if the car is off to one side even 1/2" on the trailer one chain will be loose. I didnt like it. So four regular tie downs it is.

So were back to my original question I ever posted here on CC.com. all those yrs ago. On the open trailer thread I asked if you should tie the rear of your car to the trailer by the rear axle or the frame? Responses were varied but it seemed the frame was the answer. One of the guys referred to my car as a "Track Hooptie" IIRC. Never heard that term before or since and to this day dont know if that is a good thing or a bad thing. What is the origin of that term? The loops are actually cut down leaf spring axle U bolts. They are a little beefier than muffler clamps a lot of guys use. All in all Im very satisfied with the loading/winch/ramp set up now. On to the next thing.