View Single Post
Old 11-05-2014, 10:21 PM   #215
884x4Sub
p p pullin'

Re: My '69 Chevelle/Winston cup car

Made it out to the track a couple of Sundays ago to Toronto Motorsports Park in Cayuga Ont. between monsoons. A tight dead flat 3km course with one half decent straight. At that point Mosport was closed for the season so I took what I could get.

The good? Car has BIG balls all over the place VERY fast and power all over the rpm range. No flat spots whatsoever carburetes excellent. Chassis is very poised never gets upset. Quick left right transitions or changing your line mid corner is met with a "hey no sweat, whatever you wanna do" attitude from the car. No grip grip grip gone bull**** at all. When it starts to slide its very gradual and easy to modulate with your right foot. Very confidence inspiring a car you could drive the livin' hell out of. love it.

The bad? The first session when I put my foot in the brakes after a couple of laps the car almost shook my eyes out of my head so I went in. Figured out I must be rear wheel hopping so I took a bunch of back brake out of it. fixed. Then when I layed into the brakes it was very darty, not good at all. Later on the phone David said I have too much toe out. But because of this at the time I couldnt charge corners to any real degree. Oh and even with my $$ custom roadrace pan oil pressure drops from 60 to 20 in the quick left rights. I was hoping I wouldnt have to put the Accusump on but.... Then it started to pump oil out the breather which dripped down on the collectors and made a nice smoke screen out the back of the car. Time to call it a day. Yes I neglected to put baffles inside the valve covers covering the holes that lead to the breather....effed that up. ez fix though.

All in all after all this slugging I was delighted to finally drive the thing, took the wife out she thought it was awesome too.

click on the two vids below