View Single Post
Old 11-17-2014, 05:22 PM   #60
IronDougal

Re: Operation 1950 Burn Victim

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50 Chevy LS3 View Post
Irondougal, I've been quietly reading along your build thread, and very interested. I'm only subscribed to four threads on this forum, one is this one. Very nice work. I'm curious, have you given up on a dropped front axle? Seems to me you will have a nose-high attitude to the truck if you go with TCI's dropped rear springs and factory original front springs. Quite a lot actually. Most guys go with a forward rake, or, as the case with my truck, low and level. One other thing, I found with TCI's kit, (I have it also) the rear axle needs moved rearward an additional 1.5" to 2" to center the wheels in the rear fenders.
I'm also curious, tire and wheel size? and back space?
Again, excellent work, keep it up!
Hey 50 Chevy.
Thanks for following.

It took a while to get a new built front drop axle. Speedway Motors finally got a small shipment in from their supplier and sent one my way. It is a 3" drop so I am hoping to be sitting even front to back.
The front springs are new. I purchased them from CPP along with the front disk brake kit. From what I found this should sit very evenly. If not I know a group of guys that can arch the springs to any drop I need.

I was under the impression that the TCI kit would align the rear axle to where it needed to be. I got the kit that was for this particular build. ie Stock frame and 2nd gen F-body rear diff. Let's hope it works eh'..

The wheels that are rolling around on it are not for this truck. They go on my 73' Trans Am build. I just needed them for this. They are however 17" wheels. 17" x 9.5" rear 275/40/17 with about 5.75 back spacing, and the fronts are 17" 8.0" with 4.5" back spacing and 245/45/17 tires.

Thanks again for following. Things are moving right along. The front axle is getting chromed right now and should be back next week. The rear axle will be going in later today.

Toby...
IronDougal is offline   Reply With Quote