View Single Post
Old 11-25-2014, 12:28 AM   #33
t-tung

Re: "Pinché Caliché" '57 StepSide/LSx/CrownVic

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneOffStroker View Post
I haven't addressed the little flare for the steering box with the CAD drawing. I am just going to cut out the flare and weld in a flat piece. Seems like the easiest way, since I'm going to be there with the welder anyway.

Here are the plates that I cut for mine. The files are on my computer at work, but I'll grab them before the Thanksgiving holiday. I cut mine into two 20-inch pieces, because I had a metal remnant that was only 21" or so. I will redraw them as one piece and attach that as well. I will also do versions without the little semi-circle cutouts at the front. Those are access holes that I designed so that I can get to my sway bar mounting bolts.

After they are cut, you will still have to do some slight fine tuning with a grinder to dress the edges for welding, obviously.

BTW, if anyone else wants these .DXF files, I'll send them out. Heck, I think this site needs a sticky for open source shares of .DXF files.
That's sweet. I appreciate it. One idea I had was leaving another 4" of metal on either end of the plate and bending them at a ~45* into the frame so that the boxing wouldn't come to an abrupt stop and it would give me a little more strength (in my mind). Not sure if this is a good idea or not. I'd have to cut access holes in the end to run brakes, fuel, wires etc but that is easy. I also plan on welding in a length of the 3/4" sch80 inside the bottom corner of the frame from the firewall back to the rear to run wires in and help strengthen the frame (somewhat) between the front and rear boxing. I had to buy a 21' joint and only needed 2' of it to sleeve the frame.
t-tung is offline   Reply With Quote