View Single Post
Old 12-02-2014, 10:05 PM   #3
domano 68

Re: Coolant level, radiator overflow questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorse View Post
Correct in that these old trucks do not have an overflow canister, dump to the ground via the tube, mounted on a nipple on the radiator fill opening. The rubber line may be missing. These were built before the EPA got worried about nasty old anti-freeze hitting the ground.

Start at about 2'' below the fill neck with your anti-freeze and keep on eye on the temp,(should be good at that level) also watch to see if the rad "pukes" any to the ground. Doubtful at that level of fill. Use a 50/50 mix of water and the ethylene glycol green anti-freeze. DO NOT use the pink DEX-COOL if your engine is an older original to the truck. I don't even use that crap in my '99 Tahoe, flushed it out and went back to the old green ethylene glycol.

It is possible to add a overflow or catch can to your truck. Do a search, it is quite a popular mod. I did it to my truck a couple years ago using a windshield washer tank and bracket, mounted to right side behind the battery, looks stock and works fine. Just be sure to use a radiator cap of the correct lb. pressure and specify a cap for the newer style "closed system". Hope that helps.
Good info, thanks much.

From the engine code off of the head it appears to be a 350 from a 69 Impala. I believe it is a 16lb vented cap. Do not know if this is what is recommended for this engine.

Just to clarify, will standard green Prestone do the trick?
domano 68 is offline   Reply With Quote