View Single Post
Old 12-04-2014, 08:26 PM   #32
underliner6

Re: Replacement Body Bushings

Quote:
Originally Posted by spenceman72 View Post
Hey Jim-since you've just gone through this project, are there any tips/tricks you can share? Anything you would do differently if you had to do it again? I think this is a project I'll take on this winter, and even with my fairly limited know-how, seems that it is something I can successfully tackle.
I also have a '72, 350, sm465 and 2 inch block lift..top is off, if that matters?
Thanks!
Jason
Spenceman72,

In my opinion it is not a technical job, but a job that requires patience and caution. Like many, my rockers and rockers boxes were not in the best of shape on my truck. Rusty with some bondo in there. I would recommend using multiple jacks on each side of the truck to lift the body off the frame. This will evenly distribute the pressure points on the body to avoid damage. Use a long piece of wood or steel beam to jack on instead of the body to evenly distribute the pressure again.

I can't imagine doing the job with the top off as I had the body twist and door alignment get off sync even with the top on!

Always use extreme caution when using farm jacks to jack up the body off the frame. They are very dangerous, especially when jacking the body down, but are necessary for the job unless you have a shop with lifts.

Again, not a difficult job. Just an awkward one. Hope this helps you. Good luck!

1972 K20 Cheyenne- 350/350/205
1972 K20 Cheyenne - 350/SM465/205
underliner6 is offline   Reply With Quote