View Single Post
Old 12-21-2014, 01:02 PM   #694
chevyrestoguy

Re: Project '64 Cheapskate

Quote:
Originally Posted by likaroc13 View Post
Nice to hear from you & see some progress! As always, I dig your ideas & clean work. I don't feel like doing much when it's cold either. Guess I'm just a wuss.
Thanks! Right now, I'm doing some of the jobs that require a lot of drilling and cutting, and it's hard to get motivated when your hands are cold and stiff. Gotta get it done, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty76 View Post
Darn it I've got to go to work but when I get back I'm going to catch up......grrrr........Now you want to post.
Haha, my timing is terrible!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomp View Post
How long are the power steering hoses you had made? Never even thought of tapping out the bosses. Thanks for the info.
The hoses are right at 34 inches long. I had the hose shop crimp the 90 degree ends that secure to the steering box, then I figured out the route and trimmed (2") the excess. The guy at the hose shop thought he was doing me a favor by making both hoses out of ultra high pressure hose, which has a steel braid inner and an abrasion protective outer jacket. Getting the hoses to make the hard bend right at the steering pump and then trying to get it to slide over the low pressure nipple was a royal pain. I'm not 100% satisfied with this, and I won't know if they'll be OK until I fire the engine and spin the pump. If they want to leak, I'll just pull the hoses and make them out of a more forgiving material.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Elco View Post
Super sano, as always. Gonna have to start lookin' for a dragster to push, methinks! Glad to hear from you, Alex.
I've got a couple of potential candidates, but I've got to get this thing done before I can offer my services. Right now, I am at the weird stage of the build, where you seem to invest so much time and effort doing stuff that nobody will ever see. I always comment on this when I'm looking at cars at a show. I can always tell exactly where the builder finally got fed up and threw in the towel and said, "it's finished". Investing the time to work out all of the little details sucks when you're in the middle of it, but it's the most satisfying when you're finished.

Quote:
Originally Posted by duallyjams View Post
500560 / I have one just haven't open the box figured you would get to it before me so you can share the what not to do.
Here's what I have learned so far.......this kit will require you to either buy or rent the crimpers for the Packard 56 terminals. They are spendy ($125), so I decided to buy a crimper set from Tool Aid for $80 that has 5 different Die sets in it, but none if them are for the Packard terminal. I did a couple of test crimps with a die that's real close (the Weatherpak one) and I'm not 100% satisfied with it. If you crimp a 16 gauge terminal with that die, it distorts the body of the connector, but if you use the next size up, it works OK. I need to invest more time in coming up with a procedure that will work.

My build threads:
'55 Chevy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=247512

'64 C-20: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=446527
chevyrestoguy is offline   Reply With Quote