View Single Post
Old 01-04-2015, 05:08 PM   #740
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Re: Grizz's Redneck Express 1966 Chevy Short Fleetside BILLYBOB

Man that door looks ugly inside, it may look like the front fender when stripped of the filler. The screen inside looks like a 1960's repair when the truck would have been new, but was probably done much later. Some Bondo brand products even provided a small piece of plastic screen. It looked just like metal window bug screen, and was intended to bridge small holes and give the filler something to stick to.

Many kids in high school kids (including me) used it to eliminate mounting holes when “dechroming” the hood and trunk emblems. Here’s my 54 Chevy in 1966 after removing the emblems:

And here it is two years later in the hands of the new owner, still wearing the Bondo patched hood and trunk:

It held up well if applied to clean metal. The downside was any clown thinking it would be funny, could push the filler/patch into the trunk by applying stiff thumb pressure over the repair! I’ve just never seen so much of it used to cover a large defect. It’s really a benefit you know how to weld and do correct repairs. As for the small 2 hole patch in the door, that might have been a lower attaching bracket for a different set of “West Coast” mirrors at some point in history (depending on where the holes were on the door).

Sure nice to see you moving along at a nice pace. I’ll do some research on that “original” rear bumper. I’m thinking it might be an aftermarket accessory bumper for a much newer truck. I’ve seen them around many times, just never paid much attention to what they were on.

Also my care package arrived yesterday. Thanks so much! I got to keep the magazine and decal, but Ruthann immediately claimed the wall hanging, already having a spot for it! The magazine is fantastic. It’s much like what was commonly available here in the States back in the 1970’s. Not much gets published here anymore that isn’t a high dollar investment at one of the publication friendly shops.

Keep up the good work!