View Single Post
Old 01-10-2015, 01:06 PM   #1
Vals59

Chassis mods and bump steer whats best.

Hello everyone. I am a newbie here and also new to the 55-59 truck world. I posted a while back that I had purchased a 59 big window p/u cab and related parts. Last week I dragged home a 55 pickup with a pretty clean original frame. I have searched and read many posts and build threads. Actually, I have read so much that I am thoroughly confused. My goal is to have a truck that stops well, steers well, has no bump steer, and rides okay. Power steering is a must as other family members may be driving it. Bump steer is also a huge concern to me. I did not want to go Mustang 2 or Camaro clip. I had decided on a Crown Vic front end but then read they are a little wider and wheel choice would be limited, but I'm still pondering that. The other thought I have is to leave the straight axle and get a CCP power steering kit that leaves the box behind the axle. I would add disc brakes up front and swap out the rear end 5 lug all around. If I went that route how do I correct for bump steer? Has anyone ever done a cross steer with this box? Would it have bad bump steer if not? I think someone mentioned a longer front spring also for a softer ride. I only want to do this once and plan on doing as much myself as possible. If I went the Crown Vic route, which I would rather not, I would probably start with a salvage yard unit and go from there. I think I have enough previous fabrication skills to adapt it nicely. Thanks Mike
Vals59 is offline   Reply With Quote