View Single Post
Old 01-10-2015, 10:18 PM   #5
BP Automotive

Re: LS into K5-Who did your wire harness?

You have got to be picky when it comes to choosing a harness manufacturer! There are some quality harness manufacturers out there, but unfortunately-for every quality harness builder there are probably 5-10 that really do not build a harness that would be considered a quality harness assembly.

Now, dont take this as me pointing out any specific harness builder. The link posted is an example of some of the things that I have seen with harnesses that have been sent to me for repair because they were non working harness assemblies. The page in the link is not meant to make you decide to purchase anything from us or any other company. It is there to help you make an educated decision on purchasing a Quality Harness assembly. It is there to help you guys ask the right questions when you call a company to inquire about a harness.

One of the biggest things that goes unseen in a harness is the Crimp Quality, as it is hidden by the connector. Delphi ratcheting crimpers are used to assemble some harnesses, and they DO NOT achieve a solderless crimp. They are meant for REPAIR use only. This is detailed in the SPX SAE manual for these tools. Sargent/SPX is the company contracted to manufacture the repair tools. Here is a link to the manual.

http://www.weber.edu/wsuimages/autom...%20Booklet.pdf

Rennsteig Hand Frames and Die Sets are the ONLY Hand tool that is meant for manufacturing Harness Assemblies. Sadly, only a small percentage of companies that hand build harnesses utilize these awesome tools!

One more corner that is cut by many companies is the color coding of the harness assembly. Many, Many companies use their own color coding! Imagine the nightmare of trying to trouble shoot with a GM Schematic!!!

http://www.bp-automotive.com/Commitm...xcellence.html

Again, Please dont take this a me pointing anyone out! This page is just there to show what goes into manufacturing a Quality Engine Harness Assembly.

Bill
BP Automotive is offline   Reply With Quote