View Single Post
Old 05-11-2010, 03:42 AM   #436
VDOG
Grand PooBaa Member

Re: SoCal checkin' in

Ok let me explain, I had an exhaust leak since August or Sept. After describing it to a few, it was said I had a bad cam. Pulled the topend off the truck, replace the cam, as I tighten the rocker polly lock, I torqued it down too much and it snapped. So I had to pull both heads, might as well get them freshen up. As I used my breaker bar to losen the bolts, when I got to the first 4 head bolts over the plugs, when I put the bar to break the torque, it turned, it was loose, very loose, in fact the next 3 were the same. So the exhaust leaking and the noise like a elf is in my motor hammering stuff. That was my problem.

So ok heads went to the shop, was told 475 for complete job, not spending that on the 283. Got some other heads of my 350, will install them instead.
Once on I need to install the timing cover, but oil pan is on. 12 years of gasket not being removed and you cant take the oil pan out without removing the cross member. So after pulling the starter, removing the pan bolts and destroying the gasket cause the timing cover goes on first, I still have to clean the pan of the old gasket.

So I move to the balancer, I thought I had it on straight, when I used the pulley install tool, it expanded and broke. Leaving the other part of the tool screwed into my crankshaft.

All this drama becaues 2 shops and 3 muffler shops all missed this. So United Engine has this special

http://www.unitedengine.com/index.ph...mart&Itemid=55

If not this engine, then it will be sold and replaced for newer truck.