View Single Post
Old 11-06-2012, 12:50 AM   #1158
VWNate1

Unhappy Re : Starter Madness

I know how frustrating it is because I always get these weird problems when I buy abandoned projects then I have to figger out what the hell's going on (I'm currently buried in a $1,200 '91 Camry 4 door that whizzed right on past $4,500 in parts and isn't done yet.....)

Anyways , you've been offered free starters from several here and what I'd do is : remove the torque converter cover plate and gut the starter of brushes and solenoid , mount it to the engine and pull the plunger with a bungie cord etc. then hand rotate the engine and visually inspect the depth or the tooth mesh ~ I feel it has to be in there somehow , be aware this is just a " S.W.A.G. " but that's the 1st, thing I'd do as a good running engine , to me , is priceless and always worth saving .

Maybe it's the flex plate , maybe the crankshaft is bent ? . I dunno 'til it's looked at .

FWIW , we once had a bramd new '81 C-60 with a 4 bolt 350 , when Chevy machined the bare block new , the center of the main bearing saddles was 0.010" OFF (wow) - yet it started and ran , it vibrated pretty badly but I don't recall any starter troubles , it just beat itself to death in 10,000 miles .

My point is : someone had to take the time to really LOOK at it to figure out what the hell was wrong , I worked in a Major Fleet Repair Shop and they were all too (insert pejorative here) to be bothered taking the time....

This is why I always counsel most DIY'ers to JUST DO IT ! because you're interested and have the time , you'll usually do a better job .

'K ? .

Don't give up ! .
'69 C/10 shortbed sidemount survivor 250 L6 W/ 350TH