View Single Post
Old 01-15-2015, 09:04 PM   #3
UMDSmith

Re: Project "Just Wing It". 1970 C20 LB

About 2 months ago, I drove the truck to work, and as I was leaving, a co-worker noticed I didn't have reverse lights. Ok, no biggie. WHen I got home and was backing up the truck, I noticed I also didn't have working brake lights (but did have running lights).

That of course is a problem. Since my column shifter was pretty much shot. I went ahead and ordered a new column shifter, and brake petal switch. The steering column was a nightmare to put in with that stupid park lockout, and I doubt the reverse will ever hit the contacts properly, but the park lockout does work as do the new brake lights. I also replaced the rear wiring harness.

While I had it in the garage, I wanted to put all new weather stripping in the doors as the windows would rattle horribly. I did the passenger door, but when I took the old molding out of the driver door, I noticed the door was rusted badly through the bottom.

I am NOT a body man, but I've never been afraid of projects, and $50 ish for some patch panels vs $350 for a new door, I figured what the hell, so I decided to cut the door in half and put a whole new bottom on. It was more complicated than I thought, and took quite a while. I also shrunk the metal some so I had to use a bit more than a skim coat of bondo. I'm no welder, nor a body man, but it came out pretty damn good I think.

UMDSmith is offline   Reply With Quote