View Single Post
Old 01-21-2015, 10:38 AM   #1314
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Re: Junkyard Jimmy Super Low Buck Build Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanroo View Post
that notcher looks fine. the one i have looks like a kindergartner made it and it has make thousands of copes.

please dont use pipe. there is no point it using inferior materials after you spend so much time and effort on the design and all the associated parts. pipe is not desdigned to handle load in the same way mechanical tube is. it is also dimensioned oddly for the easy to find weld bungs. if you dont want to pay the premium for DOM, you can use HREW and still have a tube, not a pipe. as we like to say, pipe is for poop.

again, dont thing that money saved here is a good thing. that is a conduit bender at best. filling the tube with sand or any other excuse to use these for a bender is just that, excuse. these should be called kinkers not benders. if you are making a cage, there is no point in making it wrong and these will ruin every tube you try to bend.

so far as i know, synchrowave is a brand name for miller machines. it doesnt have anything to do with the actual welder output.
I only used the pipe reference to compare costs. I wasn't considering using it. I'm fully aware of the differences. I'm a boiler inspector, familiar with lots of codes concerning materials and how they are used. And I was a certified welder back in the day.

I just need to have a better idea of how much I need before I order it so I'm not wasting money getting too much. Also my supplier here doesn't have .120 wall tubing in 1-3/4". I will look at some other suppliers to see if I can find that or just get a better price.

On the bender, I agree. If I save money there to end up spending more on tubing I'm not saving anything. But filling the tube with sand isn't really an excuse. It's something that works even on tube benders to help keep the tube shape and prevent kinks in tighter bends or thinner wall tubing. It helps spread the tension and compression load throughout the tube more. The outer side of the curve is stretching and thinning while the inner radius is compressing and will tend to kink. Some things even a boiler inspector (and not a race car chassis builder) needs to know.

I'm just going to have to keep looking for deals on dies or used benders. I've seen a few used ones on craigslist and the sellers want a same as new price for them.

The synchrowave is a series of miller welders that are AC/DC. Mine is only DC, so I can't weld aluminum with it. I don't think all DC welders have the pulse feature, which makes vertical welding easier.
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote