View Single Post
Old 01-22-2015, 08:44 PM   #112
Vic1947

Re: '57 Ford Custom 300 Tudor Sedan

I've been deep in the middle of a brake line leak. I knew it was there when I plumbed the lines a few years ago. Rather than fix it, I removed the hard lines and line lock from the front and capped off the port coming out of the MC. Had great rear brakes, which was all I needed at the time. Fast forward to the present and I'm back on it again. Couldn't remember exactly where the leak was coming from, so I had to reassemble everything to find it. Plus, in an uncharacteristic fit of optimism, I thought I might be able to tighten the fittings a little more and fix it. Not! All the lines and fittings are stainless and the ends are 37 degree AN with tube nuts. Should be a bullet proof setup, but it appears the tee coming out of the line lock has a very slightly deformed end on it. I ordered a new one and remade the line that makes up to it just to be on the safe side. Still waiting on parts, but I should know tomorrow if it's fixed.

A curious thing happened while on the brake deal. The MC is a manual disc/disc unit like from a '70 Corvette to match the 4 wheel discs on the car. With the front port capped and the rear lines bled, I had a firm, high brake pedal. When I re-plumbed the front (and before bleeding the brakes) I expected to have a small amount of pedal left ...which is the whole idea behind a dual master cylinder. If you lose one circuit, the remaining one should get you stopped. This was definitely not the case. Not exactly sure why the total loss of brakes but "the Google" hasn't been very enlightening.

Meanwhile, I continued piddling with little stuff. The gap at the rear of the driver door wasn't going to fix itself, so I welded a piece of 3/32" ER70 to it and ground it down. It's now close enough to finish out with filler. I have a few places on the body that I need to revisit, so I'm saving the Bondo to do all at one time.
Attached Images

Maybelline - my '57 Ford 2dr Sedan "Mecum'd" 3/2016 Location unknown
Silver Streaker "Mecum'd" 4/2013 Somewhere in Texas
Vic1947 is offline   Reply With Quote