View Single Post
Old 01-25-2015, 12:49 AM   #5
c10vortec

Re: 72 C10 winter budget build

Fast forwarding to now, I am 20 and in the engineering program at WKU. I haven't been driving the truck as much through college because of the 40 min commute and the aging suspension of the truck. It seemed that during every drive this year I found a new squeak or rattle in the 72. Since the motor install we have had to install brakes and rotors and a master cylinder to keep it on the road. This is not to mention how TERRIBLY this truck handles. I suspect the PO heated the front springs in an attempt to drop the front, because there are spacers in the springs as it sits now.

I once read a description of a member's truck handling to be like "a pig in slop" or my personal favorite "my door handles scrape the ground the ground in the turns" I laughed at that description because it was so true to my truck. So i decided it was time for a change.

Before Christmas break I ordered all new front and rear suspension components and pieced together a drop kit of 2 1/2" and 4". I got the works- All new ball joints, bushings, tie rods, idler and pitman arms, and front and rear springs and drop spindles. I also got new rubber cab mounts and an adjustable track bar. So when the break started it was time for the build!

Name:  IMG_0603.jpg
Views: 2455
Size:  51.7 KB

Name:  IMG_0605.jpg
Views: 2461
Size:  48.1 KB

We live on a small farm so I am lucky to have access to a wide variety of tools. With the tractor I was able to remove the bed on my own.

Name:  IMG_0606.jpg
Views: 2947
Size:  49.8 KB
This is a decent shot of the placement of the 18 gal aluminum tank. The only downside is the location of the filler neck, It must come through the bed floor. It doesn't bother us at all though, and it's nice to be able to pull up to both sides of the pump.

Name:  IMG_0611.jpg
Views: 2391
Size:  74.1 KB

Name:  IMG_0615.jpg
Views: 2428
Size:  52.8 KB
These are just some shots of the condition of the bed. There are a lot of small holes from rust throughout.
c10vortec is offline   Reply With Quote