View Single Post
Old 01-26-2015, 12:21 AM   #117
Vic1947

Re: '57 Ford Custom 300 Tudor Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Ashley View Post
When cars like this were new in the fifties that door gap was fine. Funny how they looked so perfect when they were new, back when matching numbers and inconsistent gaps didn't matter.
You are doing some great work on this car, and that a/c control is beautiful.
Ain't that the truth. Somewhere along the line, keeping up with the Jones'es became a national pastime. The first bodywork I ever did was using aluminum screen wire and Bondo to fix rust holes. Thought it looked positively professional way back then. My how things have changed.

Too early for a punch list and rather than focus on a plan, I've been settling for getting small stuff done. I keep telling myself it all has to be done eventually, but I'm leaving a lot of half done tasks in my wake. I did manage to get the brake leak fixed and now have working four corner discs. Cut and fit the hoses and spark plug wires and mounted the coil on the engine.

The e-brake came in from Jegs and I decided how to install it. Because of the work I did to the firewall, I couldn't use it for the forward mount. Had to make an angled bracket to bolt to the side of the cowl. There are fifteen bolts that hold it together and due to the tight spaces, it goes together like a Rubik's cube. Each bolt has to be installed in a certain way and in the correct order. But at least it's going to work. I machined the mounting pads for the remote trans cooler today and marked the location for the holes, but will have to finish up tomorrow. Keep having to order parts I forgot, which contributes to the "half fast" pace.

Speaking of parts, the tube grille and the halo headlights came in at the end of last week. Both look great. The lights will require some mods to the buckets as the locators don't match up, but that's an easy fix. Also received the billet knobs for the wiper and headlight switches and re-drilled them for the correct shaft size. Like I said, lotsa little stuff but it all adds up. I have to take a day tomorrow and put brakes on the Ranger. It failed inspection and I choked on the quote to fix it. Bought more stuff than they were going to replace and still came in at 25% of the cost.
Attached Images

Maybelline - my '57 Ford 2dr Sedan "Mecum'd" 3/2016 Location unknown
Silver Streaker "Mecum'd" 4/2013 Somewhere in Texas
Vic1947 is offline   Reply With Quote