View Single Post
Old 01-29-2015, 04:53 PM   #2
OutlawDrifter

Re: X pipe with 2.5 duals vs. Y pipe with single 3 inch

do you have something against going over the axle? both of those setups will drone terrible dumped under the box.

as far as flow, the single 3" will be fine with a vortec headed 350. it will take a lot of hp to need more than that single 3".

truth be told, the x and the y setup's will sound similar. an h-pipe will have a deeper sound.

no sbc will ever sound like an lq/ls platform. it's just not in the cards.

if you're questioning my credentials on the subject, my z28 puts around 425hp to the wheels. it runs the 1/4 mile at a traction limited 113mph @3660lbs. so i know the hp number is accurate if not lower than actual. i run 2.5" pipes off the headers to a single 3", over the axle to a crossflow hooker aerochamber. with the cutout open before the axle, the car only picks up 10hp. at the crank this car makes well over 500hp.

a single 3" on your pickup is not only cheaper, but will flow plenty for your setup. the 18" bullet will be deep, but if you want a more "smooth" sound, the ultraflow is what you want.

my pickup will soon be getting the flowmaster merge and an ultraflow. it currently has a 10 series(previous owner installed) on it that is just too much, it was considerably better when i put a tailpipe on it.

Instagram @aceshighspeedshop
OutlawDrifter is offline   Reply With Quote