View Single Post
Old 02-13-2015, 12:18 PM   #10
Kyle@FTP

Re: Whats the hardest part of Tube Chassis builds?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
I've done a few mild steel backhalf's with kits, but have not and WOULD NOT tackle a full chassis as a backyard project. But that's just 'ME',, your ambition may vary.

The only way I can see to do it without having a complete race car fab shop with a jig set up for building CM chassis would be the kits like the Alston or Bickel 'buy it all here' packages. And then you better have the proper tube notchers and benders,, and plenty of extra material.

If it were a 'complete tube chassis' I wouldn't touch it unless I had a BIG space with a SOLID fab table specifically for chassis building. With out a jig things are going to warp and twist and end up with something that is... well ,,, Just having all the bars necessary to get a 25.x cert doesn't mean a vehicle really is 'safe'. Once you've been sub 10's in a car that doesn't want to go straight.... or one that consistently upsets the chassis in the shutdown or any 'quirk' that can be the result of a twisted chassis... you'll wish you built a pro-built chassis.
I 100% agreed agree with that last statement. I have just crested into the 9s and luckily its in a car that is very well built. The car has gone deep into the 8s before and straight as a arrow. I couldnt imagine 9.90 with a ton of wheel input.

As for the garage build, dont be that scared. A table is simple to build and fairly cheap. lots of clamps and wear out a few tape measures. and it sounds like your partner has some fun toys to play with.

How fast do you see yourself going in the future?
Kyle@FTP is offline   Reply With Quote