View Single Post
Old 02-21-2015, 10:02 AM   #12
special-K
Special Order

Re: HD Roof Rack On Suburban

I can appreciate that time savings, but I've been designing and building my own stuff since I started contracting. I actually have a dislike for store-bought racks. I'm a craftsman and like my trucks to show it. And, my only issue is where to fasten properly. I'd guess I've had a good 1000-1500# up top before. I started out using round pipe and fish mouthing everything because round is stronger. Did my first couple that way. I finally went with square tube and it is so much easier in many ways. I've also grown to prefer the look. I'm looking forward to building these for the Suburban in a more recreational style. Most likely will just build them same as my last few sets. One hang up on the design that's bugging me is the hatch. I want these low to the roof as possible, but the hatch raises higher than the roof by a good bit. The rack can't come short or loading will be a challenge if the rear bar isn't out past the body. On a pickup the tailgate is way down there and I started setting the rear bar forward of the sides a few inches so nothing can slide of the side if loading on unlevel ground. Here is one of my prior trucks with my racks, the first set of square tube:
Attached Images

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote