Thread: Turbo question.
View Single Post
Old 02-27-2015, 11:46 AM   #8
Ziegelsteinfaust

Re: Turbo question.

Yes it for my Ford as the engine is going into a F100.

The engines are not that different in many key ways that are important to my build. So LS engines can get away with it. I will get similar results provided I take my time with tuning, and run it a bit fat under boost.

The engines share similar bore stroke ratios, and head chamber design. The head chamber is the mechanical reason the engines are capable of boost, and higher compression. I am not sure if the bore stroke ratio affects compression tolerance. The big reason LS engines run so hard compared to the 4.6 sohc is port volume, and the 4.6 can't compete in the aftermarket front. The 4.6 is more rpm tolerant due the ohc design.

The 4V heads are to much for my blood, and won't give me the HP/TQ a simple turbo build will. Plus I can turbo at my convenience, and enjoy the truck before hand. Where the 4V is all up front, and with the money I could swing all I could likely build would be a Navigator 5.4 4V. Which by the time I rebuild it, and get one in my truck would be a few grand more then a built turbo'd 4.6 pushing 100+ more HP/TQ. Yes if turbo'd will smash a sohc, but cost several thousand more.
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote