View Single Post
Old 03-19-2015, 09:42 AM   #21
Zeke's Garage

Re: Weird Edelbrock carb noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by B736866 View Post
I really appreciate all of the replies guys. This has me and my buddies stumped so all the help I can get is very helpful.
It was making this same odd noise with the old points style distributor that is why I replaced it.

I will have to get my hands on a vacuum gauge and test it out. How do I use the piston to find TDC. I just used the finger over the spark plug trick in order to get TDC after I replaced the dizzy. Could this also be a result of a bad timing chain?
If you checked TDC with your finger over the spark plug hole, and the mark on the balancer lined up with the pointer, then you should be good with that. It's just verifying that the balancer ring hasn't moved on you.

You say that it's popping when you accelerate hard, which could just be detonation, meaning that you need to back off your timing, or you have really bad gas in it. It could also mean a jumped timing chain or a stuck valve.

The vacuum gauge will tell you if you have a valve train problem, and potentially a valve timing problem by the level of vacuum you're able to obtain. Other than those non-invasive tests, you're looking at pulling the valve covers and the timing cover to inspect your rockers, studs, pushrods and timing chain.
Megasquirt Fuel Injection
T5 5 speed conversion
Ferric Oxide impregnation throughout
Zeke's Garage is offline   Reply With Quote