View Single Post
Old 04-04-2015, 09:16 AM   #994
Grizz1963

Re: Grizz's Redneck Express 1966 Chevy Short Fleetside RESTO-GO!

Went over to Martin's early this morning as Nicola was off to visit her daughter in Buckinghamshire for a couple of days.

He needed to move a load of stuff in his garage and shed, including getting his V8 and gearbox out the way, and then getting the straight six from his truck and it's gearbox out to the front of his carport for Über Cool, Andy to collect next weekend for his truck build.

I took my new to me, steering wheel and column with to test fit/offer it up to his upside down cab to see if it will fit.

So after the engines and sheds were sorted, we tried it out.

My current Moon style wheels rim and boss are both 9" from the dash edges.

The new one is 11" away, so I will need to do a bit of thinking around the best solution for form and function when I get to fitting it.

While I was there, Martin ripped the airbag and it's ring and wiring out as well.

When I got home I cleaned it all up, much improved.

So now the steering wheel and it's airbag bits can get sold as I do not want a modern wheel on my truck, still need to figure out what splines the column has and see what adaptor I may have to fit to get a new steering wheel fitted.

I personally like the older style stuff and love my Moon style that is deep dished and will be removed.

One of the things we realised this morning was that the small plastic cover behind the light and indicator stalk is missing.

Aaaaaaarrrgghhh !!!!

This means I now need to find one from somewhere, and one would expect most columns to come with them fitted, so not many about to buy or scavenge.

Anyway, if anyone knows where, or has one...... Please let me know.

Next job today is to go build a rolling frame with some of the wheels I got this week and a box into which I can pack all the parts I plan to keep off the little Honda donor bike.
Grizz1963 is offline   Reply With Quote