View Single Post
Old 04-11-2015, 02:07 AM   #21
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Re: 5.3 to 383 stroker

Quote:
Originally Posted by comicaltatertot View Post
Thanks brew for the info I had never heard of Brian Tooley before but it is a pretty sweet place. So I actually just might stick with a cam swap. On Brian Tooleys site it mentions that his cams can be used with stock valvetrain. But wouldn't it be safer to swap in new lifters, valve springs, rocker arms and pushrods? I was just looking at their stage 1 or 2 truck cam.
If you wanna take your stock 5.3, do a few weekends worth of work and have plenty of power, its very doable. Cline ain't lying about the obsolescence either; most of the time the 383 LS builds are more about having a 383 and less about the actual power result.

I actually don't know anyone who uses the Tooley cams. We only use him for the valvetrain parts, but most of the cams we use now are custom grinds. I don't think anything is wrong with his, I just can't attest to their grinds.

Do you have a budget in mind for this build? 500hp at the crank is towards the top of what most N/A 5.3's are running. At that level on stock internals, your running a pretty aggressive cam, worked heads, long tubes, and a heck of a tune. You're probably looking at bumping compression as well, meaning you need a very close eye on PTVC and avoiding detonation.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote