View Single Post
Old 05-20-2015, 02:06 PM   #18
focusedontheprize

Re: '65 Chevy C30 Dually

A few weekends ago, a friend and I set off to pickup a donor truck for the '65. I found a 1986 GMC Sierra 3500 on Craigslist for a price that was too good to pass up, however it would require a drive to get it. It was fun picking up the trailer from U-Haul with Darla, everyone came outside and had to have a look at her. So with some convincing of a good friend, we packed up and made the 5 hour (each way) journey.

The start of it all/morning coffee run:

We had to cut through Sierra Nevada to get where we were going in Nevada. I have never done that trip let alone done it in a 50 year old truck - it was definitely a great experience. Slow and steady wins the race.

One of the roads in Smith, Nevada:

The beginning of this guy's driveway. His house was 6 miles off the "main" road:

When we arrived the guy had mentioned he was going to throw in a 1970 350 motor he had in his garage for free. He thought Darla was too cool not to have a 350. Let alone the new donor truck had a 5.7 350 with a 4 speed I was already planning on using. Great guy.

All buttoned up and ready to go:

The ride back was slower than going there, however without a hiccup Darla pulled like a champ. While we were going up the mountains people would pass us and wave or give us the thumbs up. It was an overall great time.
focusedontheprize is offline   Reply With Quote